Build a LOVE that will last a lifetime…
COUPLES AND MARRIAGE COUNSELING
People in relationships seek counseling for any number of reasons, from power struggles and communication problems, to sexual dissatisfaction and infidelity.
Recent research confirms that many couples wait an average of six years before seeking help when issues first begin to surface. Our culture gives us messages that seeking help means we have failed. Another prevalent message is that you must be with the wrong person if you are struggling. This usually is not the case. All couples experience relationship challenges and receiving help means you care about your relationship. Relationships are a journey and you can learn to change course and build a love that can last a lifetime.
In couples counseling, the relationship is the focus, although each partner should also expect to focus on self-improvement and self-awareness. The major aim of therapy is increasing your knowledge about yourself, your partner and the patterns of interaction between you. Therapy becomes effective as you apply new knowledge to break ineffective patterns and begin develop better ones.
I work with all manner of relationship issues including recovery from affairs, blended families, parenting challenges, lack of intimacy, controlling behavior, post-traumatic stress disorder, and pre-martial counseling.
Marriage and couples therapy can help if you are experiencing one or more of the following challenges:
- Unresolved disagreements about finances, parenting, sex, friendships, or joint activities
- Communication that has become counterproductive
- Difficulty discussing or resolving differences
- Sensing that your relationship is drifting or that you and your partner are living separate lives
- Lack of intimacy, affection, or quality time
- Crises such as infidelity, health issues, or one partner questioning the relationship
- A cycle of blame or disrespect
- Controlling, addictive, or destructive behavior in your relationship
Couples counseling offers a safe place to speak and be heard in what may be your most important relationship. Couples and marriage counseling is designed to help you solve impasses, listen and communicate more clearly, and understand yourself, your partner, and your relationship more deeply.
Among the possible benefits of marriage and couples counseling:
- A deeper and more intimate connection
- A greater sense of partnership, affection, and companionship
- The feeling of being in a healthy partnership rather than feeling alone
- Ability to state your needs and feelings clearly and constructively so you can avoid or resolve conflicts
- Greater willingness to compromise and solve problems
- Less blame and more companionship
- Tools and techniques to foster constructive communication and closeness
It’s important to also note that couples counseling is not just for unhappy or struggling couples – couples therapy can be used proactively to strengthen bonds and to gain a better understanding of one another, both in new relationships and those that have survived the test of time. In addition, before a marriage begins, pre-marital counseling can help couples achieve a deeper understanding of each other and iron out differences in communication styles and compatibility before their wedding day.